Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Book of Dares..A Promise of a Strand Adventure


Never in my bookworm life have I ever seen so many unknown words (fictional and non-fictional) in a book until I have read this book (Well there was that Spanish translation of Ink Book …but that is more of a language than a word thing).  It made the reading even more enjoyable. 
Taking place in New York during Christmas season, Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn is told in the first person narrative of two voices, Dash and Lily who live different lifestyles but also are bookworms themselves.  It starts with a little red book found at the Strand, a place of book galore for any book lover out in Union Square. From the first page to the last page it becomes quite an anti-romantic romantic adventure. There were times where I thought I knew what was going to happen and then I was proven wrong. 
What is really interesting to me of this book was the chapters where Dash spoke. There was so much vocabulary and he had so much insight and at the same time arrogance. But where he falls for that he makes up in the building of his character. Don't worry you will never get confused reading this book. Although it was Christmas Time, I had so much fun laughing, philosophizing, and not daring to blurt out an "Oh Snap!" in reading the book. I was brought a Christmas through summer, which made it a plus. If you are in for a romantic adventure with none of the cliche, CHECK.THIS.BOOK.OUT!

Note:if you love this book you will love Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist written by the same authors of the above book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment