Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Last Seen Leaving (book review)

courtesy of kgbbar.com
Hope you all are enjoying these last days of summer.

As usual I have a book review here for you. I love mysteries and this one is in that category. Now please do not get mad at me when you finish this review just because I said I love mysteries.

At some point we end up finding ourselves with a book that leaves us speechless. This one most definitely left that impression on me.

Written in third person by Kelly Braffet, Last Seen Leaving is about a girl who disappears after an accident and a short time later is searched by her mother who has never been the same since the death of her husband.

I remember Kelly Braffet from reading Jack and Josie, so when I picked this book I figured maybe this would be disturbing. Man, was I wrong.

 This book was all over the place with the characters and the setting. There was a lot of flashbacks going on along with unnecessary focus to things happening in the background of whatever character the narrative was focusing on.


I have read a lot of books using a past and present tense in their narrative and still be able to keep a composure in how the story flowed. This novel only flowed well in the switch of focus on the main characters. What kept me reading this book is the concept of the mother finding the daughter but that didn't even happen (sorry to spoil that small detail). So I am still questioning what is the point of this book? If it isn't about the mother finding the daughter then what is it truly about? Is it about growing up and finding home? Or is it just a story of 2 aimless characters?

If you don't like confusion, I suggest NOT to pick up this book because you will either A. get annoyed and/or B. throw the book across the room or even C. look at the book with a question mark above your head just like I did.

For the first time on this blog, I am going to say this book is one of the bad apples.

Til Next Blogpost,
Miss Bobo

No comments:

Post a Comment