Friday, September 6, 2013

Double Smash! Book Review Part 1. (It's A Science!? Say What?!)

  Hey guys,
meme courtesy of instapop.com
Hope you all have started September well and may the Fall may begin to greet you well *bellows cape*

I've been in transit from book to book on the fly and am going to be sharing some with you. I would like to start September with a non-fiction book because it sure has been a while.

If you may or may not have known I am not as much of a fan for non-fiction as I am for fiction. It really has to be either a subject that interests me or something I am required to read for a class. And that shouldn't be the case. We should be able to read up on something random and capture what we
learned because you never know when that knowledge will come back in the forefront of your brain and help you. But enough of sermons today!

image [of book cover]
courtesy of goodreads.com
Reading some articles on our biology I have learned that at the times we hug, talk, and kiss with loved ones; a hormone in our bodies becomes active, oxytocin. It rises especially within physical activities such as sex and kissing.

Now, I've heard about sex but what about kissing? Recently, I finished a book that took a further scientific approach on kissing. 

Found randomly in a library I went to in the city, The Science of Kissing by Sheril Kirshenbaum explores the science behind kissing (double whammy woah!).

Kirshenbaum explores what are some human biological effects that occur before, during, and after kissing is done. Kirshenbaum also shows a mini-experiment she had done with a small group of volunteers using a special machine and pictures of different types of kissing.

It may sound a bit boring to read because of all the facts but it is interesting to read because Kirshenbaum shows how it plays into the bonding between romantic couples. How many diseases that can be exchanged besides mono and how it can be a major part of human interaction.

The only con I found consistent throughout the book was the fact that Kershenbaum didn't do any further experimentation. She only gives suggestions on how kissing can be further researched and explored in the scientific field. I understand maybe Kirshenbaum had put that there for anyone who is in the field to further look into it; but I think it would have been better that she had gone the extra mile and spoken with human biologists on how these experiments can be carried out and maybe even made a further attempt in getting a bigger experiment done.


Til Next Blogpost,
Miss Bobo

No comments:

Post a Comment